Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:34:11 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFC? src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC and sound support

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 12:09:30PM +0200, Roman Shterenzon scribbled:
| On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 opentrax@email.com wrote:
| > On 28 Dec, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
| > > Having been hit by this today, how about MFCing the following change?
| > >
| > >   revision 1.289
| > >   date: 2000/11/14 01:11:13;  author: jkh;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -1
| > >   In the year 2000, I think it's perfectly reasonable to include audio
| > >   support by default in GENERIC.
| > >
| > I can't answer for JKH or others but audio has had a history
| > of problems, especially durning the boot-up probe stage.
| > Problems such that it might lock up the machine under
| > certain conditions. Perhaps this is the reason sound may
| > never make it into GENERIC.

I do not recall ever having such trouble with newpcm, nor
has newpcm been troublesome for people.  If newpcm
does not probe, the boot process continues on.  There is no
"probe problem."

JMJr: Stop spreading baseless, false information like this, please.

| Yes, I really hope that it doesn't make it into the GENERIC.
| GENERIC kernel should provide fully functional and stable machine without
| bells and whistles. Sound is a luxury.

"Fully functional" for a desktop implies a working sound card too.
This is one of of those things that does not really matter very much.
A good server admin will recompile and customize his kernel.
And a desktop user probably does not know how to compile a kernel.
Are you telling me that, in your consultancy, you just keep GENERIC?

There is no need for this bikeshed.  Whether pcm is included in GEERIC
or not does not really hurt anybody either way.