Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2020 17:17:42 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
Cc:        "D'Arcy Cain" <darcy@druid.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a standalone spreadsheet program available for Freebsd?

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:05:51 -0500, Bob Willcox wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 07:32:22AM -0500, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
> > On 2020-04-17 07:05, Bob Willcox wrote:
> > > I would like to find a spreadsheet that I can run on FreeBSD in X that is
> > > essentially standalone and drag with it tons of other stuff. I have openoffice
> > > installed but it seems way over the top for my intended purpose.
> >
> > What is the intended purpose.  A spreadsheet program is designed to be
> > very flexible and allow many different uses.  If you have a very
> > specific use something else may make more sense and be even smaller if
> > that is one of the requirements.
> >
> > If you do need a spreadsheet anyway, knowing the intended use may
> > determine what products you need.  Not all programs may have the
> > features you need.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> What I would like would be something simple w/o lots of features as
> my intended
> use is simple. I just want to be able to list expense items and their cost and
> have them added up as a monthly expense budget. That's all.

Yes, Gnumeric can definitely do that. You can install it
without the rest of the office suite and just use this
program. It doesn't have that much dependencies (Gtk-based).

Sidenote: I use awk for the exact same purpose, it's already
in the base system, and what you're searchig for is even
covered in the EXAMPLES section of "man awk". You can
easily get formatted ASCII text, and if you need a PDF,
use enscript (adds convenient margins and pagination,
if you need that). For a similar purpise where "well designed
reports" were required, I wrapped the whole thing in LaTeX,
produces PDFs as well. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany