Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:43:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: devfs in -stable

On 31-Jan-01 Chris Wasser wrote:
> On Wed 31 Jan 2001, Andrew Hesford wrote:
>> Of course you're missing something. If you mount it on /devs, it won't
>> mount on /dev... You need to specify a mountpoint of /dev if you're
>> confident it will work.
>
> Yes, I realize this.
>
> As I stated, the manpage says the default mountpoint for devfs is /devs
> (thus why I made an fstab entry for it), which I later read from the
> archived mailing list posts was not required, init will mount devfs on
> it's own (which it does) and thus removed the /etc/fstab directory,
> leaving me with devfs mounting to "dummy_mount" and my original /dev
> remaining intact (ie: devfs does not mount in it's place)

This only applies in current, which has a different DEVFS implementation.

> What I'm not clear on is why it doesn't mount to /dev (as I read in the
> archived posts) and whats up with the dummy_mount mountpoint.

Mount it on /devs using /etc/fstab, then go look in /devs to make sure it all
looks ok.  If it does, then change /etc/fstab to mount it on /dev.  However, it
probably won't all look ok, as DEVFS in -stable is broken.  Which is why it is
turned off.

> I fully realize I can easily tell it to mount to /dev, but from what I
> read, I don't need to, init will automatically mount it to /dev for me
> (or so I've read so far, there isn't much current information in the
> archived posts on devfs pretaining to this -- all the information I did
> find states devfs will mount to /dev on it's own, if enabled) and I can
> go about my merry way.

The init mounting business is only in current for the new DEVFS.  I don't think
the old devfs did this.