Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 13:52:01 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
Cc:        Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supporting MS IE (was Re: NatWest? no thanks)

--qi3SIpffvxS/TM8d

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:21:07AM +0000, Paul Robinson wrote:
> Now, instead of moaning about how IE doesn't do this, or doesn't follow t=
his
> standard, perhaps, just perhaps, we should put some development effort in=
> Mozilla and other browsers to make them IE compatible. At this point, it =
is
> the OSS development community's job to make user's switch by giving them a
> similar browser experience to IE but without any of the nasty stuff (like=
 it
> crashing, Passport stuff, etc.). We're a long way from there, but to say =
we
> shouldn't start out is ridiculous.

Doesn't work.  Because now you've just handed effective control of the
standard to Microsoft.  Go re-read the Halloween memos, and the bit
about embracing and extending commodity protocols and standards in order
to lock out competition.

I note that one online bank in the UK (Egg) is now planning on switching
to using MS Passport for authentication.

> Also, you seem to imply that we should all support all browsers. That's r=
ot,
> and you know it is. How about this then - you can use your on-line bank w=
ith
> any browser you want, but you have to pay, say, an extra $50 setup to fund
> the development? If you're genuinely happy to do that, tell your bank.

One of your earlier examples gives the lie to this.  Smile (the bank I
use) switched from a slow, browser dependent, crash prone Java applet to
a CGI implementation.  They've retained (as far as I can see) all the
functionality, and have transformed their online banking experience (for
want of a better phrase) from something that used to be very frustrating
to something that is much more convenient and (possibly psychologically)
much faster.

As an aside, it also lets me do clever things.  Because their interface
is (effectively) an application where the URLs form command strings, I
can write simple[1] Perl scripts that can go to the site, and pull down my
current balance for me.  Which is actually quite handy.

I couldn't do that before.

[1] Well, moderately complex
--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--qi3SIpffvxS/TM8d

--qi3SIpffvxS/TM8d--