Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 08:44:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        trost@cloud.rain.com (Bill Trost)
Cc:        tbalfe@tioga.com, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail

It seems that Bill Trost said:
> However, if the sendmail is not doing any local delivery, then

Sendmail never  does local delivery  itself.  It  always  pass the mail  to
mail.local or procmail...

> You might get away with making sendmail only setgid to a user
> capable of writing the files in /var/mail, but that gets really
> strange and you still lose deliveries to pipes.

Won't make a difference. Sendmail in CURRENT is  already not setgid anymore
as the method of getting the load avg is now sysctl(3).

> WARNING: I have not tried this with sendmail, but have successfully
> run smail non-root on a machine with no local mailboxes.

Smail   does local delivery  itself  if I remember   well (I've switched to
sendmail since 8.2...).
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #14: Tue Apr 30 21:08:35 MET DST 1996