Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 08:22:31 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad T23 Coming Out of Sleep

Andy, please wrap your lines at some reasonable length (72-75)!

> Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 22:02:21 -0400
> From: Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > Running into a very intermittent problem here with my otherwise perfectly
> > working laptop.  When bringing it out of sleep mode, the system locks, hangs
> > for about 30-50 seconds, then commences with a reboot all by itself.
>
> I've seen this about once every 2-3 weeks on my Omnibook 6000 which
> generally gets suspended/resumed at least twice a day (and sometimes
> as many as 10-15, if the trackpoint is a little recaltriant coming
> out of sleep mode - I /hate/ the touchpad)..

Have you tried the HOOKRESUME (and, if that does not do it,
INITAFTERSUSPEND) flag on the psm device in your kernel. HOOKRESUME
(0x2000) did the trick for my IBM T30.

> As my Omnibook hangs on a reboot, this is paperclip time...
>
> > No messages worth noting in the "messages" log either.
>
> <AOL>
> Meee Too.
> </AOL>

Do you have 'options AUTO_EOI_1'? If so, try removing it. I doubt you
do, as it seems to make my T30 hang like this almost every time.

On resume I only get console messages from the ATA devices, but never
get a message that /kernel resumed. After removing the option, things
worked much better. Smells a lot like some sort of race condition in
the APM stuff which may be exacerbated by AUTO_EOI. (I really don't
understand exactly what AUTO_EOI_1 does, but it certainly seemed to
speed up some operations.) In any case, it leaves interrupts blocked
or disabled on resume, at least part of the time.

LINT provides only:
# AUTO_EOI_1 enables the `automatic EOI' feature for the master 8259A
# interrupt controller.  This saves about 0.7-1.25 usec for each interrupt.
# This option breaks suspend/resume on some portables.

I hope someone can figure out a work-around of the last line of that
entry. The improvement in interrupt performance is nice.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)