Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:30:52 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        hart@iserver.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scaring the bezeesus out of your system admin as a normal user:

Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Paul Hart writes:
> > This is kind of a related question, but in 2.2.7-RELEASE syslogd appears
> > to have been modified to bind to its UDP port even if it is run with the
> > -s flag.  It does discard packets received on the port (but still logs a
> > message about it!), but should it not even bind to the port when running
> > in secure mode?  It didn't bind to the port in previous versions, if
> > memory serves.
> >
> > If this was a recent design decision that is meant to last, I think I will
> > hack my syslogd back to the way it used to be.
>
> If you do, send it in with send-pr... this behavior seems kindof silly.

	This was discussed several months ago (check the archives for -Stable I
think), but my understanding was that it was decided ultimately NOT to
bind the port otherwise I would have made more noise about it myself.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
     - Yiddish Proverb