Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:41:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>
To:        Christoph Haas <haas@brian.lion.de>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internal compiler errors when making world

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Christoph Haas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since I upgraded to 2.2-STABLE I get internal compiler errors in all parts
> of the source. I simply tell it to "make -DMAKE_EBONES -DCLOBBER world"
> and it runs for a few minutes and bombs out with an internal compiler
> error. What's wrong with it ? I never had this kind of problems while
> running 2.1-STABLE. And if I compile the offending files "by hand" they
> are compiled without any problems. Only world as a target for make
> produces this strange errors. Any ideas ?

This is usually caused by a memory error, bad cache, bad motherboard,
overheated CPU.  You probably saw "cc1 received fatal signal 11" ...

The solution [assuming the errors are random .. ie have nothing to do
with the source files] is to fix the hardware problem, which often
involves reseating SIMMs, disabling caches, or adding cooling fans.

John