Date:      Wed, 25 May 2005 13:28:56 +0900
From:      Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com>
To:        delphij@delphij.net
Cc:        delphij@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Subject:   Re: [CALL FOR TESTERS] VESA High Resolution Console support from DragonFly

2005/5/23, Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>:
> Hi, Jeremie,
>
> $B:_(B 2005-05-23$B0lE*(B 02:38 +0200$B!$(BJeremie Le Hen$B<LF;!'(B
> [snip]
> > One question however : is it supposed to consume more CPU than classical
> > non-VESA text mode ?
>
> I think so, it should consume more CPU than classical text mode console
> since it draws characters, rather than giving the responsibility to the
> video card.  A possible optimization would be to map the video card
> memory into the space.

Tested on my Thinkpad R40 : Radeon 7500.  Is it supposed to consume a
LOT of cpu?  Perhaps there's something funny with -O2 or similar
because some things are VERY slow.  I have not, however, noticed any
major bugs, but screen redraws will take ~1 second if the screen is
not cleared and thus causes powerd to kick my processor up to full
speed often.  Also, the screensaver (logo_saver) seems to take a while
to display.  The screen goes black for 10 - 15 seconds before the
screen saver displays.  Through all this, though, it's still so worth
it.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.