Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 17:40:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Junk mail from hackers list

> > I have noticed that I am receiving junk mail from AOL's mailing
> > list agregator again, now that someone from AOL recently subscribed
> > to the list, and was wondering if anyone else had the same experience?
>
> Is _that_ where it's coming from?  My normal response to junk mail is to
> turn it around and send it to the postmaster, but I've been getting a lot
> of bounces from bogus headers. 8(

Did you get the "CREDIT" one?  That's the one that set me off, since
it didn't say how to get off their list (the ones that let me "REMOVE"
in a reply piss me off, but they are *just* below my pain threshold).

> > You would think AOL would have enough problems without pissing off
> > a lot of highly technically knowledgable people...
>
> I think that AOL management and technical staff are sufficiently stupid
> that they couldn't care less about a market segment that already hates
> their guts.

It may be time to rewrite the "From:" on the list so a simple reply
will fail, instead of leaving the poster's email address out there;
this would such, for lots of reasons... the main one is that it would
be harder to take a discussion off line.

Alternately, AOL response addresses could be rewritten so that a group
reply/reply to a posting from AOL wouldn't work.  The AOL person would
have to be a list member.

Worst case: don't allow AOL users to subscribe to the list.  This is
a terrible thing.

I think you are right about whether or not they care: they probably
could care less that they agregating email addresses from a list
rather than from individuals.  It'd probably take a privacy act suit
against them in order to make them quit, and even then, you couldn't
enforce it, since you couldn't prove where they got your address
from.

Like I said, I've been on the list before, and I've gotten off it
through their "send a comment" www page entry, even though the page
entry was damn rude about me wanting to press "send" (see the comment
page relevent to an outside user commenting on AOL to see what I
mean: http://www.aol.com/comment.html).  Something like "If you truly
think we can't live without your pithy comments, click 'Submit' now.".

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---