Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 00:39:09 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do I find major consumers of disk space on the system?

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 11:51:14PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Pretty cool!  I tried it out and it works well.  Looks like most of the
> space in /usr is taken up by ports, particularly a port called teTeX,
> which occupies 33 MB alone.  What is it?

It's a TeX distribution, quite a good one.  TeX is a typesetting system, if
you haven't come across it before.  Either you installed the port or, more
likely, it was installed as a dependency of some other port or package.
There should be a file /var/db/pkg/tetex-[version]/+REQUIRED_BY that lists
the packages that depend on the teTeX package.

> Is there a clean way to delete ports that I don't intend to install, and
> then download them if I ever do decide to put them in?  Or maybe load
> them back off the CD, in cases where I don't need the latest and
> greatest.  The big files are mostly in /usr/ports/distfiles.  Not that I
> need the space _right now_, but I like to keep the system tidy.

By 'ports' I assume you mean the stuff in /usr/ports rather than the
installed files resulting from building a port.  A fresh /usr/ports
consumes an insignificant fraction of any modern disk, so I'd be inclined
to leave it alone; however, you can always pull a new one with cvsup or
unpack it from your CD set (I think the file you want is ports.tgz).

However, anything in /usr/ports/distfiles can safely be blown away -- these
are leftovers from ports that have been built already.  If you want to stop
these from accumulating in the first place, do a 'make distclean' after the
'make install' step for any ports that you build.  'man ports' for more
info on the various targets that the ports Makefiles understand.

	Scott