Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 2002 01:39:18 +0900 (JST)
From:      Akira Funahashi <funa@funa.org>
To:        raj@cisco.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Sony SRX77 (SRX7)?

Hi,

Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com> wrote:
> Has anyone run FreeBSD on the Sony SRX77 (called the SRX7 outside the
> US)?  I searched the net and can only find hints of Linux and X11
> possibly on the SRX7, but all references are in Japanese.  Apparently
> the SRX7 and the SRX77 are the same basic machine.

I've wrote a web page about installing FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE on SRX7,
but sorry, I've wrote it in Japanese. Maybe you can find it by
googling with "SRX7 FreeBSD".

> Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

OK. Here is an information.

You can install FreeBSD by USB floppy disk drive. But it really takes a
long time to read the USB floppy, so I prefer you to use CDROM drive.
Before the kernel boot, you must set

  set hw.pcic.irq=0
  set hw.pcic.intr_path=1

whether you use a PCCARD stuff or not.

After the installer comes up, you can use fxp0 (built-in ethernet) or
any other PCMCIA ethernet cards (such as ep0, ed0).
XFree86-4.1.0 works perfectly on SRX7. To get X working, you must
load "agp.ko" which is an AGP kernel module.
This can be done automatically on boot by adding this line to

/boot/loader.conf.

  agp_load="YES"

Other devices are described in the following table.
I've tested on 4.4-RELEASE and 5-current (cvsup'ed Jan 13th 2002).

                   4.4-RELEASE   5-current
XFree86-4.1.0          OK          OK
fxp0                   OK          OK
PCCARD                 OK          OK *1
USB                    OK          OK
Sound                  OK          OK
Touchpad(psm0)         OK          OK *2
MemoryStick            NG          OK
Jogdial                OK *3       OK *3
Remaining Battery      OK *4       OK *4
suspend/resume         NG          NG
802.11b(wi0)           NG          NG
Bluetooth              NG          NG
IEEE 1394               ?           ?
Winmodem                ?           ?

*1: PCCARD works on -current when using OLDCARD.
*2: Touchpad(psm0) won't work on -current while ACPI is enabled.
*3: Jogdial works if you apply the "spic & moused patch".
    You can get the patch from
	http://csociety.org/~will/jogdial-current-2.diff
	http://csociety.org/~will/jogdial-stable-2.diff
*4: You can get the remaining battery time by using
    "vaiobat" command included in /usr/ports/graphics/picturebook.
    On -current, you can get a detailed battery information from ACPI.

Unfortunately, suspend/resume won't work on SRX7 now.
ACPI support is required for recent laptops.
But it is worth trying recent -current.
I've not tested recent -current yet which is based on ACPI CA 20020214.

You can get kernel config file, loader.conf and XF86Config from

 http://www.funa.org/~funa/diary/2002/01/13/FUNASOUL
 http://www.funa.org/~funa/diary/2002/01/13/loader.conf
 http://www.funa.org/~funa/diary/2002/01/13/XF86Config

respectively. Please modify "FontPath" in XF86Config because
my FontPath is quite different from general.

Hope this helps.
--
Akira Funahashi/[funa@funa.org]