Date:      7 Apr 1996 15:47:24 -0700
From:      jhenders@wimsey.com (John Henders)
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN TAs

In <199604070908.BAA03089@MediaCity.com> brian@MediaCity.com (Brian) writes:

>Dave Andersen wrote:
>>   I've noticed a fair amount of complaining about the BitSurfrs lately,
>> and I'm wondering what people feel overall is the best coice for an ISDN
>> adapter, preferably external, for use under FreeBSD.  This would be for
>> "home office" use

>When you talk async over a serial port to an ISDN TA at 115200 baud, each
>byte you send is surrounded by two bits as part of the async
>protocol.  Which means the real maximum data delivery rate to your TA
>is around 90000 bits per second.  A rather poor usage of a 2B channel
>call, which can handle 112000 or 128000 bps.

Of course, this is totally dependant on the primary use you put the ISDN
line to. I have an ISDN connection to my work and for a while it was
only 64K due to incompatability problems. I found that quite usable for
several reasons. One, most of my time is spent typing and interacting
with computers over the link. Comparitively little is spent doing huge
transfers. As I pay no connection charge to connect to my work, the
speed of a transfer is largely irrelevant, as I can always do something
else while transfers occur in the background(like read news), and in
testing I found that even with 3 ftp sessions running from a host
directly connected to the router on the other side of my connection,
inter-character delay was still completely acceptable, with none of the
problems you get with a modem connection.

Another consideration I've found is that unless you're a night owl, even
with 64k your speed for ftp and web browsing is more limited by other
parts of the net. I've found during weekdays that I average around
2-3k/sec which is only slightly better than the speed I got with a 28k
modem, possibly due to improved ack turnaround time.

Of course, now I have a full 128K connection, it is nice when I hit a
site that can actually send to me at full speed.

--
John Henders