Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 10:16:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        behanna@zbzoom.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Java <java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sun Keynote at JavaCon2000

> > >     I hope they'll port HotSpot while they're at it.  The performance
> > > improvement is dramatic.
> >
> > In order to get 'dramatic' performance, we need kernel threads.  FreeBSD
> > doesn't (yet) have kernel threads.
>
>     I don't disagree; however, my own experience was that the quality
> of the JIT makes an enormous difference (factor of ten, by my
> observation:  IBM JDK 1.3.0's JVM executes the LINPACK benchmark ten
> times faster than Blackdown's 1.2.2 or Kaffe's JVM).

I didn't make myself clear.  In order for HotSpot to have dramatic
performance improvements, we need kernel threads.  HotSpot assumes that
multiple system calls can be made at the same time, and as such
*requires* kernel threads.  (At least, this is the consensus we came up
with while talking with the Sun engineers.)

Nate