Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 2008 00:02:40 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Subject:   Re: Mapping Control-Delete to BackSpace

Hi Andriy,

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 03:40:14PM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 20/07/2008 01:47 Jeremie Le Hen said the following:
> > Hi there!
> >
> > Please Cc: me when replying.
> >
> > The backspace key on my laptop is dead.  I'd like to map Control-Delete
> > to BackSpace using xmodmap(1).  It's straightforward to do for
> > Shift-Delete, but I can't  figure out how to do so for Control-Delete.
> >
> > Any help would be welcome.
>
> Not sure about xmodmap but you can modify your
> /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/symbols/pc to have the following definition for
> Delete key:
>
> key <DELE>  { type="PC_CONTROL_LEVEL2", [ Delete, BackSpace ] };
>
> You can do more research on XKB configuration and how to do the above in
> non-intrusive way.
> The key thing here is you need to change type of Delete key to
> control-modifiable.

Thank you very much!  I didn't know that xkb was that mighty! :)
For the records, I've create a new keyboard layout like this:

% jarjarbinks:~:143# cat /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/symbols/jarjarbinks
% partial default alphanumeric_keys
% xkb_symbols "basic" {
%     include "fr"
%     key <DELE> {
%         type= "PC_CONTROL_LEVEL2",
%         symbols[Group1]= [ Delete, BackSpace ]
%     };
% };
%

Best regards,