Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:23:40 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Change in crypto policy in France

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 07:36:46AM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> On 21-Jan-99 jonathan michaels wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 11:23:01PM +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> >> According to jonathan michaels:
> >>
> >> The main thing is that export for commercial usage/products is
> >> restricted to the same level as in the USA (i.e. RC2/40, RC5/40 and so
> >> forth). DES may be at 56 bits (not sure here).
> >>
> >> What is really delicious is that free software is not restricted
> >> apparently.
> >
> > yes, this is teh bit i fond most interesting, all sorts of places are
> > poping up and saying you cant do 'commercial' 'strong encryption', but
> > you can give it away, as in freeware .. japan is teh most recent one,
> > i;ve notices and only as part of teh ip6 thingies in the KAME project.
> >
> > interesting to see what happens next .. grin sortta
>
> And this last sentence is exactly why I am bringing it up again and again,
> ad nauseum. Most European countries were having no restrictions whatsoever
> and now we all of a sudden have a legal document which may get implemented
> sooner or later, but nonetheless the fundaments for control lie there.
>
> And there should be no distinction between free and commercial software
> regarding this issue. Cryptography and thus privacy and security are
> constitutional rights and a prerequisite for the success of IPSec and other
> relevant protocols.
>
> The main thing that's wrong about the whole issue is the one about the
> first it was all free and now not anymore. How far is the step to add a
> next entry into that Arrangement that will control every product, be it
> free or commercial? Don't make the mistake of thinking it won't happen.

Jeroen, i reprinted you responce in the hope that people will read it again
and think about it again and again. here in australia it is not an issue, yet.
because nobody has gone to gaol like mr zimmerman (sorry fro misspell) looked
like he was going to.

i suppose its like that in teh other places in europe, not including behind
teh old iron curtin. it just cant happen say all teh peoples and teh techies
who think that tehy know the internet say its not possible. what those people
don't know is just how possible it is .. if teh govt says no crypto and
implements teh same punishment as for crimes of sedition the sentance 20 years
hard labour and no parol, this is currnt austrlian minimum sentance, tehy also
sieze everytings that even remotely lookslike it mihgt have been a computer at
some point in it existance.

people ezpexially americans hide behind thier so called democratic society and
that piece of paper that quarentee noting the govt wont allow. as you said and
as people living in teh real world (eastern europe and all millirty
dictatirships) know how easy it is fro teh govt to do just what it wants to do.

here in australia we are knee jerking our way to an ever more police state in
responce to blown compeletely out of proportion by teh television and
newspaper media (in an effort to make thier 30 seconds more watched that
somebodyelses, to sell one more newspaper than thier oppositon) generated
'crimewave'. america has already criminalised at a very fundamental level
people meeting on teh street .. most of canada's french dominated procinces
have similar laws, to protcet from teh threat of english take over by riot and
disorder campaigns.

> Don't make the mistake of thinking it won't happen.

it is happening slow quietly and whn it comes time for teh govt to push over
teh edge, thier won't be that many left stading to say, 'stop you cannot do
that'. why, simply because everybody was safe in thier beds thinking it won't
happen, it can't happen, as it is happeing all around them in so many small
and almost unmoticeable ways .. the wess* arrangement is one such mechanism

technology is moving so fast that we are all looking at laws cast for our
future with eyes and understandings or wisdom that is firmely planted in teh
past . not a good thing to my way of thinking.

please ecsue the passion of my repsonce, i dont care about so called personal
freedom, what i care about is govt destroying people who ask, why are you doing
that mr president, prime minister, king, queen, head of state, etc, etc, etc.

regards (maybe regarde would be more apropriate ?)

jonathan

pd, excuse my spelling i have several neurological defecits that make writing,
spelling and reading very hard for me.