Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 11:17:33 -0400
From:      is <is@isaka.net>
To:        <cjclark@home.com>, "is" <is@isaka.net>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with Sony

On 7/10/99 2:10 AM, Maxim heard Crist J. Clark say:

>No, a properly installed IDE CDROM should be found by either
>kernel. What are the answers to these questions:
>
>1) Are you booting from floppy? From the CDROM?

CD-ROM

>2) Are you disabling the second IDE controller in the kernel config?

I beleive it's on the second IDE controller (wdc1 as opposed to wdc0).
I've tried with it enabled and disabled. No joy.

>3) Is the CDROM detected during the kernel's hardware probes?

It appears to be. (ie: "wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa")

>4) Is the FreeBSD CD in the drive when you go to the media selection?
>   Was the CD in the drive during the boot?

yes and yes

>5) Is the CDROM offered as a choice at the media selection?

yes, but it immediately returns a "No CD-ROM found" when selected as the
media type.

>--
>Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com

BTW: I emailed stanislav shalunov (shalunov@att.com) who had pretty much
the same problem (Dell PowerEdge 1300, Sony CDU701, installer/OS not
seeing CD even though BIOS boots from the FreeBSD CD). He posted it to
FreeBSD-questions and had some dialogue with you about two months ago on
this very issue. His response indicated that his resolution was to buy
and install a different CD Drive. This news is not particularly
encouraging.

I have installed via FTP and remain unable to see the drive. I'm about to
pull it and check that it isn't in slave config, which I doubt as it
ships in master config by default.

Israel Alvarez
Propellerhead Without Portfolio
is@isaka.net - The amazingly heavy lifeless dog
"The crimes of eBay are a disgrace to its Pig Latin heritage."
  - TheOnion.com