Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 00:06:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates and async

you may run a filesystem in async if you turn off soft updates
soft updates is faster however in many real-world applications
as async still queues SOME operations, and soft updates can detect when
an unlink makes a write to disk that was scheduled un-needed,
where async will still go through with it..
(think of temporary work files)

personally I'd just run with softupdates..
certainly it is faster for /tmp to do so.
try some comparisons.
I'd be interested to see the results.

julian