Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2005 03:07:52 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: distcc and cross-compiling for FreeBSD on Linux/Solaris

On Oct 10, 2005, at 2:34 AM, Andrew P. wrote:

> We've got some mostly idle, but powerful sparc64
> servers running Solaris 9/10, as well as a host of
> Linux servers (x86 and x86_64). Of course, all the
> real work is done on a pack of FreeBSD boxes :-)
>
> Some days ago I started using ccache and distcc,
> and I really love these tools. Now I want to get the
> Solaris and Linux servers to do something useful
> and compile world, kernels and ports for the
> FreeBSD boxes. Is there a somewhat
> comprehensive guide to this? Can somebody
> share his experience with me? I'm now looking
> into crosstool how-to's, but I have no knowledge
> of gcc intrinsics, and some points are very hard
> for me to understand.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew P.

     Good luck with that effort. Not to treat it as the feat is
entirely impossible, but I'm not sure how you would approach it
without using GNU lib stuff since linux runs via GNU libs whereas
FreeBSD uses their own libc package. Not only that, you would have to
have equivalent compiling tools, have the libs compiled for multiple
archs, etc. It's a fairly large project that many companies are
actually working on right now for making into reality since computing
clusters are becoming so prevalent nowadays.
     Anyhow... not impossible (well, maybe for the kernel end of
things, but not some of the packages in world or ports), but good
luck ;)!
-Garrett