Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 2021 09:08:40 +0100
From:      Michael Firnau <mfi@tf.uni-kiel.de>
To:        Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LTO tape and StorageWorks PowerVault auto-changers

On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 09:47:23PM +0000, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> Before I re-invent something that exists but I simply don't know about it,
> is anyone else using LTO tape on FreeBSD, especially with HP StorageWorks or
> Dell PowerVault juke boxes?

Hello,

we use an LTO drive with an Overland/Tandberg library and Amanda since 2010.
Actual we run a single LTO-7 6tb drive in an Overland NEO T24 and 50 tapes.

drive:

sa0 at mpr1 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 0
sa0: <IBM ULTRIUM-HH7 G9Q1> Removable Sequential Access SPC-4 SCSI device
sa0: 600.000MB/s transfers

changer:

ch0 at mpr1 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 1
ch0: <BDT FlexStor II 5.11> Removable Changer SPC-3 SCSI device
ch0: 600.000MB/s transfers
ch0: Command Queueing enabled

A nice feature with Amanda is that the backup solution
calculates when to make full or incremental backups
of 800+ ZFS datasets.

We allow Amanda to use 2 tapes per backup run (=12tb). Tapes
are picked and changed by Amanda. We have to make sure
that the tapes with the needed label are in the library.

No problems whatsoever.

Regards,

   Mike