Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 06:00:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@anasazi.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/2248: Mitsumi CD-ROM driver has

The following reply was made to PR kern/2248; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Chad R. Larson" <chad@anasazi.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, chad@anasazi.com
Cc:  Subject: Re: kern/2248: Mitsumi CD-ROM driver has
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 06:57:23 -0800

 I turned on debugging for the driver.  It reported that it was
 finding data with a delay of between 10 and 40.  I believe that
 is the count of the number of times mcd_doread() scheduled itself
 via timeout() before the controller reported status.  If so, the
 read delay value of 800 is more than enough.  However, every dozen
 or so reads do not ever get data.  Those ones are the ones that
 generate the timeout messages.  The retrys always work.  It is
 almost as though the controller doesn't see the read data command
 every so often.

 I'm going to reduce the delay value from 800 to maybe 200.  It won't
 solve the read fails, but will get around to the retry much sooner
 which should increase the effective throughput on the drive.

 Other tidbits:  Each completed read generates a "stray interrupt",
 which tells me that the strategy of mcd_doread() repeatedly scheduling
 itself wouldn't be necessary.  Let the interrupt cause data to be
 collected.  Also, putting the computer into and out of "turbo" mode
 (changing CPU clock rate from 133 MHz to 33MHz and back) doesn't seem
 to impact the behavior, so I don't think it's directly related to
 timing.

 I suppose it's possible that the controller itself is defective, but
 it was working perfectly in another machine.

 Any other ideas to try?

    -crl
 --

 Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
 602-953-1392  CRL22@aol.com  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com