Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 1995 17:08:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Remy.Card@masi.ibp.fr (Remy CARD)
To:        hasty@netcom.com (Amancio Hasty Jr)
Cc:        bakul@netcom.com, hasty@netcom.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Since lites-1.0 is out...

> Hmmm..., I think the biggest problem in building lites is mach4
> we are still using a very old gas which core dumps when attempting
> to compile a .s file. The fix is to get the latest gas and build
> it for freebsd. I peruse around the latest gas and notice there
> were no configuration files for freebsd however there some for
> netbsd so I guess that is a start.

	There are two problems when building Mach 4 on FreeBSD 2:
	1. the latest version of Mach4 contains a bug and cannot boot on a
	   4.4BSD filesystem,
	2. the assembler used in FreeBSD is not able to assemble two Mach
	   assembly source files because it cannot handle the ``.bss''
	   directive.

	I have patches for both of these problems.  I have sent the first one
to the mach4 mailing list, and the second one to the freebsd-hackers list
(it seems that nobody ever commited it).

	BTW, once you have compiled Mach4 on FreeBSD, compiling and running
Lites on your PC is very easy.  I have written a small note describing the
build process.  It is a bit out of date unfortunately but I can update it
and send it to interested persons.

> 	Amancio

		Remy