Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 1995 14:36:01 -0700
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com>
To:        kim culhan <kimc@w8hd.w8hd.org>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>, John Herks <john@pyromania.apana.org.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 - device timeout ?

In message <Pine.NEB.3.91.950605171858.15801A-100000@w8hd.w8hd.org>, kim culhan
 writes:
>When I rebuilt with 2.0.5-ALPHA, rebooted and then compiled a new kernel
>the ed0 device would time-out on boot-up.
>Although the kernel config file was the same one used before which had
>ed0 at irq5, I had to change the config file to ed0 at irq10 (where it
>actually is.)

There was a problem where the ed driver would always read the soft
configuration of the card, even when the card was jumpered to be at a
different address. Therefore, the ed0 driver was changed so that it
didn't read gratuitously from the NVRAM on the card, and went with
it's hard coded values instead. If you use an irq of `?' in your
configuration file, or specify ``irq ed0 -1'' to userconfig (boot the
kernel with -c), your card should work as normal.

It might not have been in your floppy set, but this is now documented
in the hardware guide (section 4), and should probably go in the FAQ
also, as it looks like it will become one.

Gary