Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:22:06 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Roderick van Domburg <freebsd-questions@vandomburg.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why gcc 2.95 in FreeBSD?

In the last episode (Jul 26), Roderick van Domburg said:
> Something I've been wondering about but haven't been able to find the
> answer to: Why is by default gcc 2.95 included in FreeBSD as opposed
> to the newer gcc 3.0?
>
> When I visit the GNU GCC website, it seems like 2.95 is ancient... it
> dates back to 1999. Don't all of the current Linux distributions ship
> with 3.0? Not that I believe that we should blindly follow Linux (at
> all *grin*), but I am concerned about cross-platform compatibility.

RedHat 7.3 ships with 2.96.  Suse looks like it ships with 2.95.3.
Debian ships 2.95.4.  The version of gcc in FreeBSD 4.* will always be
2.95, because you simply don't do something as drastic as upgrading the
compiler on -STABLE.  All of your c++ programs would break, for one
thing.

FreeBSD 5.0 will ship with either gcc3.1 or 3.2, and if you want to use
gcc31 or gcc32 on FreeBSD 4.*, install the port.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com