Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:08:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCIC on Libretto 100CT and 110CT

If anyone here is familiar with the inner workings of the Toshiba Libretto
100CT and 110CT units, I have a question:

The EE department recently got some Libretto 110CT units with 233Mhz
CPUs, 4GB disks and 64MB of RAM. I installed FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE on
these and added my experimental Aironet PCMCIA wireless NIC driver.
(The cards we have are the 4800 series.) The Aironet PCMCIA modules
require both vpp1 and vpp2 to be set to +5 volts in order to operate in
PCMCIA mode. Without these voltages, the module operates in "ISA mode"
in which the bus interface changes slightly and the CIS structure isn't
readable. This "ISA mode" is used when the module is mated with an
ISA or PCI bus adapter as in the Aironet ISA4800 and PCI4800 adapters.
This allows the ISA, PCI and PCMCIA cards to use the same core PCMCIA
module without requiring the ISA and PCI cards to function as PCMCIA
bus expanders like the WaveLAN/IEEE ISA card does. (To use the ISA
WaveLAN/IEEE card, you need to enable pccard support even though you're
operating on a desktop or server system.)

FreeBSD does not enable the vpp voltages by default, however you can
force it to by modifying the inserted() routine in /sys/pccard/pccard.c
to set vpp to 50 instead of 0 like it is normally. I needed to do this
in order to get the Aironet PCMCIA module to work on a Dell Latitude,
which is what I originally used to develop the Aironet driver. With
the Libretto 110CT I found that the Aironet card is enabled automatically
whether I program vpp or not. I discovered this by accident after
forgetting to patch pccard.c on one of the units that I set up.

With the Libretto 100CT however, things are different. This unit has
a 166Mhz CPU and a 2.1GB disk. I don't actually have one of these,
however somebody testing the driver has reported that even with the
fix to pccard.c to force on the vpp voltage, the card is never enabled.
When the correct voltages are applied, the amber LED on the card is
supposed to light up. This happens fine on the 110CT that I have, but
on the 100CT it remains dark.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the PCIC on the 100CT is different
from the one on the 110CT. This yields two possibilities: 1) there's
something else that needs to be tweaked to get this controller to
enable the vpp voltages, or 2) the controller is buggy somehow and
fails to enable the voltages even after programming it correctly.
My machine reports the following:

pcic0: <Toshiba ToPIC97 PCI-CardBus Bridge> rev 0x20 int a irq 255 on pci0.19.0
pcic1: <Toshiba ToPIC97 PCI-CardBus Bridge> rev 0x20 int b irq 255 on pci0.19.1
[...]
PC-Card Intel 82365 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows) pcic: controller irq 3
Initializing PC-card drivers: fdc ed ep an wi sio
Intel Pentium detected, installing workaround for F00F bug
changing root device to wd0s2a
Card inserted, slot 0
an0: <Aironet PC4500/4800> at 0x240-0x27f irq 7 on isa
an0: Ethernet address: 00:40:96:14:a5:1e

This is exactly what the 100CT reports, it would seem (except that
the initialization of the Aironet card fails).

Does anyone know what the differences are between the PCMCIA controllers
in the 100CT and the 110CT? Can anyone explain why the 110CT enables the
vpp voltages correctly and the 100CT doesn't?

(For those who are wondering, the Aironet driver is available at:
http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/Aironet.)

-Bill