Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 20:14:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS question..

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Sergey Ayukov (mailing lists) wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 1999, Doug Rabson wrote:
> > The data is cached (subsequent reads will come from the cache). I don't
> > expect FreeBSD's defaults to change on this since it does violate the spec
> > and a much better (safer) fix is to use NFSv3.
>
> There are cases when NFSv3 is simply not an option (can't upgrade
> clients). IMHO, the filesystem which does fflush() after each write()
> (effectively, this is a requirement for NFSv2) is seriously broken in
> design.

I agree there. I'm still not changing the default though since its not my
data which would be risked. It has to be a decision made by the individual
admin (it would be nice to have better documentation though).

> > Hmm. Not too useful to me since I don't run OS/2. I wonder what sized
> > requests are made by the OS/2 NFS client. That can affect performance
> > considerably. Without knowing the pattern of NFS calls the test makes, it
> > is impossible to speculate on what is causing the performance loss.
>
> The problem has been solved! (see my other message). Answer:
> sysctl -w vfs.nfs.gatherdelay=0

Excellent.

> > Try reading the Samba documentation (in the docs/textdocs subdirectory of
> > the samba source code).
>
> Samba started to perform reasonably well (870KB/s on write via 10MBit/s)
> after "sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0". I wonder why an option in
> the smb.conf had no effect.

I'm sure I managed to get samba to use TCP_NODELAY with an option. Its
been a while since I had to tune a samba installation.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com