Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 2000 15:06:40 -0700
From:      William Schmidt <wfs@mciworld.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   slow ftp

I have upgraded two systems to 4.0 stable and have found that the ftp to
our local site and any site is slow the computers are connected to the
local site through a 10 mb ethernet and under 3.4 downloaded at a rate
of 700-800kbs.  With 4.0 they load at 7kbs on the one system and about
70kbs on the other.  I have tried both passive and active mode and
disabled the inet6 in the kernel and got about the same rates.
Furthermore, on the k6-400 system that uses a netgear fa310tx I get the
following message repeated "dc0 failed to force tx and rx to idle
state". The slowest machine  is a dual celeron 533 system that uses a
d-link 530xt and rl0 driver.  Further investigation revealed that I
could do an ftp put from a 4.0 box to a 3.x box at 700+kb and only get
at 70kbs.  I could also put from a 3.x box  to a 4.0 box at 70kbs and
get at 700kbs.  Therfore, It seems that data into the 4.0 box is slow
while data out seems fine.

 I would be very Thankful for any help with this problem.

Bill