Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:48:00 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Khanh Cao Van <cvkhanh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable-list <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: howto update freebsd 4.7 release to 4.7 stable

Khanh Cao Van wrote:

>My custom use freeBSD 4.7 release and ask me to install JDK1.4 on it .
>But when I use ports to compile JDK , the system show me a message :
>
>You must have a version of FreeBSD later than 4.7-STABLE February 2003
>or 5-CURRENT February 2003 to compile and use JDK 1.4.2.
>
>So I have to update my 4.7 release to 4.7 stable . But I do not know
>how to do make it . I've looking everywhere but could not find any
>clear document about it . Please help me !

AFAIK there is no such thing as 4.7-STABLE, just 4-STABLE and the
handbook page on tags bears this out.  (4-STABLE would be improvements
from the *latest* 4 release which is 4.11.  If you won't go to 4.8 then
4-STABLE is the stuff of your nightmares.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html
says:

RELENG_4 The line of development for FreeBSD-4.X, also known as FreeBSD
4-STABLE

>PS : I'm not going to upgrade my kernel 4.7 to 4.8 or anything else ,
>just 4.7 only . Thank for reading !

No-one here can stop you shooting yourself in the foot. The release
engineering page clearly states:

> FreeBSD 4.7 security fix branch (not officially supported).

so I guess you are own your own.

Not upgrading a critical machine to 5.X I could understand, but not
upgrading from 4.7 another 4.X release I find incomprehensible.

--Alex