Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:08:03 -0200
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        pyunyh@gmail.com, Ganbold <ganbold@micom.mng.net>
Subject:   Re: fxp0: device timeout and sk0: watchdog timeout problems

On Thursday 19 January 2006 04:14, Ganbold wrote:
> I have same problem even after updating the sk code to the latest:
>
> Jan 19 12:58:53 gw kernel: fxp0: device timeout
> Jan 19 12:59:10 gw kernel: sk0: watchdog timeout
> Jan 19 12:59:10 gw kernel: sk0: link state changed to DOWN
> Jan 19 12:59:20 gw kernel: fxp0: device timeout
> Jan 19 12:59:52 gw kernel: fxp0: device timeout
> Jan 19 13:00:23 gw kernel: fxp0: device timeout
> Jan 19 13:00:29 gw kernel: sk0: watchdog timeout
> Jan 19 13:00:52 gw kernel: fxp0: device timeout
> Jan 19 13:01:05 gw kernel: sk0: watchdog timeout
>
> Ganbold

hi=20
maybe a stupid hint but did you checked the TP cable and pin order? I often=
=20
saw such problems when a gigabit connected to an older /10 HUB or when usin=
g=20
incorrect pin orders on the cables or even to long cables

Appearently the sk down events are gone on my server with Pyun's patched=20
drivers, did you checked if you compiled with them in the right place? My=20
servers are now almost 24h up with the new sk driver and none of them is=20
having the problem any more until now. Until this I had crontab run "ifconf=
ig=20
sk0 up" all 10 minutes what helped me so long.

On my SMP system when sk stopped it caused also watchdog timeout on all oth=
er=20
NICs, on UP kernel not.

Do you use interface polling? Check with vmstat -i because you may have=20
overlapping IRQs and you cards may not support it. Look into the MB manual=
=20
and see which pci slots are shared and don't use them or try another bios=20
setting. What MB you are using?

you may try ifconfig fxp link0 to load its microcode which could help but i=
n=20
my opinion and experience the fxp cards are bad when using more than one an=
d=20
I through them all out but interesting is that they work well on until=20
releng_5, btw the sk  also works well on releng_5

Jo=E3o