Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:59:49 -0700
From:      Tamiji Homma <thomma@baynetworks.com>
To:        Michael.Elbel@consol.de
Cc:        ni@tellique.de, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, garyj@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   i860 based computer (was Re: IA64)

> In lists.freebsd.chat you write:
>
> >Michael Elbel wrote on freebsd-chat:
>
> >> Well, all I can say is that in a former life at a former company we
> >> were indeed building workstations with i860 processors and only
> >> those. Intel *themselves* supplied a SYSVR4 port to the i860 that we
> >> used as the base of our own version.
>
> > I hope I am not giving you away when I mention that this must have been
> > the Cadmus Firebox, the only general-purpose machine based on the i860 I
> > have ever heard about.

Hmmm....  Stratus Computer used to sell i860 SVR4 system.  We had
to use the expensive system just because of so-called fault tolerance.

Hardware was robust but not OS ;-(  When OS goes down, all goes down.

Since nobody mentioned it, it must be pretty minor.

I was really tired of lack of kernel debugging support
specially dealing with STREAMS, which I was porting TP4/CLNP to
run X.400/X.500 on the machine.

I was so happy with FreeBSD 2.0-ALPHA to build the test system
X.500/X.400 against Stratus i860.  My 486/66 FreeBSD 2.0-ALPHA
always beated the quarter million dollar Stratus computer except
floating point number crunching, which is never used in the system
that I worked on...

I also remembered that OKI Electronics used to have i860 based
workstation.  But it disappeares so fast.  I don't even remember
the name.  I'm maybe wrong about it.

Tammy