Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 1997 15:27:11 -0500
From:      Troy Settle <pitlord@usit.net>
To:        michael dorin <mike@chaski.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tar or gzip or both?

michael dorin wrote:

> I would like to make periodic backups of my /home directories and a
> couple other really important ones on to a second hard drive.
> I would like these in nice neat packages, kind of like you could
> do with pkzip.
>
> How can I use tar and gzip to get a whole tree?
>
> Thanks for the information...
>
> -Mike
>
> http://www.chaski.com/wwwboards/freebsd

I've only been following the _questions_ list for a short time, but
aren't
man pages pretty much mandatory reading before posting?

by reading the man page for your shell, gzip, and tar, you should be
able
to come up with any of the following:

         tar cf home.tar /home
         gzip home.tar

or:

         gzip -c > home.tar.gz < tar cf - /home

or even:

         tar cf - home > gzip -c > home.tar.gz

or the *easy* way, provided by 'man tar' by itself

         tar zcf home.tar.gz /home

I'm sure their's several other ways of doing this, but I'm not sitting
at a unix box right now.  Have fun with it all

Troy

P.S. If you want to see what's going on, add the 'v' flag to tar, and
it'll show you names for each file it handles.