Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:48:43 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOCKS port inspires question...

In message <199809231507.IAA14603@austin.polstra.com> John Polstra writes:
: I'd recommend getting rid of the leading "_" unconditionally.  The
: a.out dynamic linker was fixed a long time (long enough) ago to do the
: right thing if the leading underscore is missing.  So getting rid of
: it unconditionally will work for either object format.

OK.  The socks code tries to be sensitive to these things accross a
wide variety of versions.  I'll just do the leading _ skipping when
we're not running on version 2 of FreeBSD, since ELF isn't supported
there.

: My rule of thumb (speaking only for myself) is: support a.out well on
: -2.2, and support ELF well on 3.0.  Always bear in mind that a.out in
: the 3.0 branch is _history_.  We are not going to be a dual-format
: OS after this transition period.  People who think they can use 3.0
: without switching to ELF are going to discover that they're wrong.  If
: it's really hard to support a.out on a 3.0 system, I wouldn't lose
: any sleep over it.

It is easy to support a.out _OR_ elf, but much harder to support both
of them at the same time.

I think for the moment I'm going to basically punt on the issue and
support just one per machine.   If more are needed, people will pester
me about what's needed I'm sure.

Warner