Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:30:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "System Admin." <pe@student.lssu.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   tape drive problem

Hello,
	I just installed FreeBSD/Alpha on AlphaServer 400 4/233 and it
works great! I love it!. But I have a small problem that my DDS2 tape
backup doesn't work. I look in /var/dmesg.today and found out that my tape
device is sa0:

sa0 at ncr0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
sa0: <DEC TLZ09     (C)DEC 0167> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 8)

but when I use mt -f /dev/sa0 status it tells me that the device is not
configure. So, I did this:

# ./MAKEDEV sa0

and it's still gave me the same error. When I look futher in the log file
I saw this error message:

(sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): Medium not present
(sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): REWIND. CDB: 1 0 0 0 0 0
(sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
(sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): Medium not present

This error occur everytime when I run /stand/sysinstall command. So, how
can I fix this ploblem? I want to be able to backup my system specially
when I just finish setting up my intranet secure webserver on it. =) Thank
ou for the help!

TIA

pe'

UNIX System Admin.