Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:24:43 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>, Valentin Shopov <valsho@yahoo.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Subject:   Re: apm & current

> : Adding to this, I noticed many other problems in apm code, such as
> : - Fixed segment description for APM.  The limit granularity should be
> :   specified in bytes, not pages.
>
> This looks good.

I curse myself for missing the patch here.  The segment limits are only
ever specified in bytes as far as I can tell; we should be using vm86
all the time to get the APM information now.

> : - Try to limit the number of apm_bios_call() executing to only one
> :   at the same time, watching busy state made by previous call and
> :   waiting if necessary.
>
> I wonder how this can happen, but it couldn't hurt.

It can't happen, until the SMP giant kernel lock goes away, and at that
point it should be fixed to use a suitable SMP locking construct.
Don't add any other code to obfuscate this.

> : - Made apm_suspend() and apm_standby() be invoked by apm_timeout() in order to
> :   obtain stablities.
>
> What stabilities are these?  I'm curious.

Likewise.  I'm not sure that hanging these off apm_timeout is bad, but
I'm puzzled as to what this hopes to gain.  It strikes me that this
may result in pending disk I/O etc. which will be lost by the suspend/
standby.

> : - Added adjustment for segment size limits informed by APM BIOS.  Following
> :   patch for apm_init.S and make in /sys/i386/apm/apm_init/ to generate
> :   apm_init.inc are required if VM86 isn't enabled in your kernel.
>
> These look good to me.

They're redundant; vm86 should be non-optional.