Date:      Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:12:11 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Paul Southworth <pauls@etext.org>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Continuing ThinkPad saga

--==_Exmh_1097108040P

If memory serves me right, Paul Southworth wrote:

> I used a Thinkpad 600E to alter the disk each time, since the T20 can't be
> booted from CD or floppy if there is a FreeBSD part on the disk.

I did a (non-recommended) workaround, which consisted of removing the
disk from the machine with the power off, bring it up to get to a menu
of boot devices, and then hot-inserting the disk.  So far I've been
lucky in that I haven't fried the disk.  It's physically possible to do
this, but I don't recommend it and I take no responsibility for any
damage to anything if you (or anyone else) does it.

> I concluded that this has nothing to do with FreeBSD's boot block and is
> more likely related to the partition type.  Altering the FreeBSD booter to
> support alternate partition types appears to be the simplest workaround,
> though perhaps morally repugnant.

Yeah, like I said, that's what I ended up doing.  I can put my boot1 and
boot2 files (for booting off an OpenBSD partition type) someplace
accessible if there's interest.  It's a real hack, and the way I did it,
you can *only* put FreeBSD in an OpenBSD-type partition, and you
probably can't dual-boot between FreeBSD and OpenBSD either.  But at
least it boots.  :-p

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1097108040P

--==_Exmh_1097108040P--