Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 18:54:41 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Philip Pereira" <info@wintellect.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Traditionalist Installation

Philip Pereira <info@wintellect.co.uk> types:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C174DD.D6988A00
>
> Hey Everyone!

Hello Masoch!

> Am a "newbie" (part of the forum too) and love FreeBSD. I've had it only =
> 3 months, but can already re-compile my kernel (am please with myself).

First suggestion - you tend to get better responses if you send one
copy of the message as plain text, not one as plain text and one as
HTML as you did. Worst of all is to send just the HTML, as many spam
filters kick such out.

> Just a quick question - I want to learn things the traditional way...
> Where can I find some FreeBSD compatible applications and how can I
> compile / install them on my system (avoiding the ports collection,
> etc.)

Well, you can always use google and sourceforge. I'd recommend using
the ports collection as a database. I.e. - once you find the port, do
"make fetch". The tarball will wind up in /usr/ports/distfiles. You
can then untar it, try and figure out which file contains the build
and install instructions, read through them and otherwise inflict pain
on yourself in various ways.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.