Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 09:26:07 +1200
From:      Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
To:        Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz
Subject:   Re: Debugging Kernel/System Crashes, can anyone help??

Howard,

I'm facing the same problem. I am running 4.0-current / 4.0-stable
on a Dual-PIII-733, 1GB RAM, 2 Adaptec, 300GB disk. I have had
sudden crashes/reboots as bad as not even producing core dumps or
dropping into kernel debugger.

I had several guesses, one of which was the 64K block size on some
of the disks I use. This proved to be wrong as I had a crash 2 days
ago (again in UFS) from a chgrp -R across a large number of files
(around 2GB of small stuff). Another guess that it is SMP related
proved to be wrong when I compiled a uniprocessor kernel and the
problem did not go away, it just occured an order of magnitude
less frequently.

The error pattern has changed since, I do get core dumps again.
What is common to all of them is that they occur in UFS. My guess
is that there is some sort of locking problem or locking race, but
thats very vague. As for you, my knowlegde about the intrinsics of
the file system is very limited. I repeat my offer to make the crashes
I've got available to -hackers so they can have a more detailed look.

	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Waikato Applied Network Dynamics 	Phone: +64 7 8384794