Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 00:18:11 +0000
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, dyson@iquest.net, wes@softweyr.com, tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System V init (was: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?)

A        I still don't understand why this has become an issue again.

> There is /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  The scrtips are called with "start" and
> using rc.shutdown, you can make sure they are called with "stop".  What
> more does a third party software vendor need?  They certainly cannot care
> about how basic system functions are managed.

 becouse services are depend from each other.

  for example, let you have database ans SNMP interface daemon for it.

  SNMP interface daemon start "after" databse, learm PID of database
 from pid-file of one. Now you want to restart database, you call
start and stop scripts, and magically you SNMP interface don't work.

(You can say, that this is bad practice, but really, each big software
product have big set of kluges, as one)