Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:10:56 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <osp@aloha.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does NAT require DNS (named)?

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 20:46 -0400, Brodey Dover wrote:
> If you already have a name server on your network then no, the WAP
> will not need to use DNS. You can tell the clients of the WAP that a
> nameserver exists in the DHCPD.conf file.
>
> I believe you can also set router 10.0.0.1 for example in the dhchpd.conf.
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Gary Dunn <osp@aloha.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:05:12 -0400 mikel king <mikel.king@olivent.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Apr 8, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Gary Dunn wrote:
[snip]

Thanks for all the help with this! I got NAT working today by commenting
out my custom menu stuff and doing exactly what the handbook documents,
with adjustments for the outdated ipfw documentation. Now I need to
backtrack to get back to my menu design goals.

I got DNS working by placing my upstream DNS servers in dhcpd.conf.
Works fine as long as the router never moves. It is supposed to be
mobile, so I am working on a simple solution for that. Still might go
with a full DNS, as some suggest, but I need to learn a lot more about
managing those configuration files!

Performance was excellent. No visible delay pulling up oddball Google
image searches.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp@aloha.com