Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 1997 11:25:56 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP log file

> Running a 2.1.7 system, installed the August 20th release of PPP the day
> after it was released. Added:
>
> !ppp
> *.* /var/log/ppp.log
>
> to my syslog.conf and sent a kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog.pid` to syslogd.
>
> My ppp.lgo file has not been written too since the upgrade. The above
> addistion to syslog.conf is from the man page. Did I send the right kill
> to syslogd?
>
> I do get an error from syslog when I reboot about something not being
> right in the conf file, but as far as I can see it seems to be correct.
>
> Anyone have a hint...? Not a big deal really as its only my using this
> system, but would like something to be logged anyway.

Make sure you use tabs between the *.* and the file name - if you use
spaces, syslogd ignores the line.  I've added an appropriate comment
to the man page.

I'm not sure why you're getting an error - you'll have to be a bit
more specific about that.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;