Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:49:19 -0700
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Francisco Borggia <Prabax@takas.lt>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which?

On Saturday 06 April 2002 05:16 pm, Francisco  Borggia wrote:
>      MS  Windows  crashes  once  a  day,  KDE crashes (with
> a  beautifull picture of fire)
>  twice a  day.  Which  of  them should I choose?

As others have said before, it's like comparing Apples versus Oranges.

I have found KDE-2.2.2 to be extremely stable. I've never had it crash on me.
I did try out KDE-3.0.0 this weekend, and kicker (the panel) did lock up on
me twice. I don't know if this was KDE's fault, or if I didn't have it
installed right. This was under Slackware using prebuilt packages. I don't
trust prebuilt packages, as I never seem to have exactly the same hardware
and installed libraries as the guy building the package :-) I'm waiting for
the FreeBSD port before I try KDE3 on FreeBSD.

Remember the old saying, "never trust a x.0 release". In other words, if the
software version ends in a '0', it's likely to be a wee bit unstable. If you
are using KDE-3.0.0, I would suggest you stick with KDE-2.2.2 until KDE-3.0.1
comes out.

And as for the OS, I have never had FreeBSD crash on me. I did have Slackware
crash on me *once*, but that was my own damn fault for mucking about in
source code I didn't know anything about.

David