Date:      16 May 2003 12:20:23 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        "Carl Morley" <bsdmn@webize.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

"Carl Morley" <bsdmn@webize.com.au> writes:

> Yes, I have had these problems too.  And even the HDD controller has
> done some pretty mysterious stuff.
>
> Even with the patched drivers in 4.8, I still regularly get " vr0: rx
> packet lost" errors.
>
> Not happy in general and would essentially advise to steer clear, or get
> heavily involved!

I've been running an EPIA M 600MHz fanless for a couple months.  I'm
running it diskless (booting from a FreeBSD-5.0 server and NFS
mounting from it too) so that it's silent.  It's not the fastest thing
I've seen but is generally adequate.

Kitchen# uname -a
FreeBSD Kitchen.shenton.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #4: Sun Apr 13 11:47:15 EDT 2003     chris@Pectopah.shenton.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PECTOPAH  i386

I haven't seen the network problems you have mentioned (just checked
the logs and dmesg).  I see that the thread started in December 2002;
perhaps more recent code has fixed this?