Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:55:17 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        msmith@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about the various /boot/loader scripts

> I'm trying to figure out how all these loader scripts fit together,
> and I have some questions.  First, my understanding is that the
> scripts are included like this (indentation signifies nesting):
>
>     /boot/loader.rc
>       /boot/loader.4th
>         /boot/support.4th
>     ["start" command executes]
>       /boot/defaults/loader.conf
>       /boot/loader.conf
>       /boot/loader.conf.local
>
> Now for my questions:
>
> 1. Is the above diagram correct?

Looks about right, yup.

> 2. "/boot/loader.conf" and "/boot/loader.conf.local" are entirely
> site-specific, and can be used to override the defaults from
> "/boot/defaults/loader.conf" -- correct?

That's correct, in the same fashion that /etc/rc.conf works.

> 3. If I want to add some site-specific script code, as opposed to
> overriding variable settings, where is the best place to put it?

Hmm.  The "right" answer would appear to be in a 'loader.rc.local', but
that's obviously not implemented at this point.  The loader.rc file isn't
typically overwritten after installation, so either inserting it there or
sourcing another file at that point would be the cleanest way.

> 4. Shouldn't these scripts installed on the Alpha too?  Currently,
> none of them are.

As David mentioned, Ficl isn't up and running on the Alpha yet.  Daniel
Sobral was working on integrating a new version of Ficl which is meant to
be 64-bit clean.

> 5. Except for "/boot/defaults/loader.conf", are any of the installed
> scripts architecture-specific?

There is some screen-handling code that is specific to the
cursor-addressable syscons emulation in the i386 loader, but I think
that's about all.