Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 1998 12:45:17 +0000
From:      jose@dial.pipex.com (Jose Marques)
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SlimSCSI woes

I'm trying to get an Adaptec AHT-1460 SlimSCSI card to work with FreeBSD 2.2.5.

Using "pccardc dumpcis" I see two configuration indexes:

    0x9 port 0x340 irq 4 5 (default)
    0x8 port 0x140

I've modified the io and irq lines to include the above ranges and have
disabled (in the BIOS) the devices that use these irqs - though the boot up
messages say that the pcic is using irq 4.  My pccard.conf entry is:

    card "Adaptec, Inc." "APA-1460 SCSI Host Adapter"
    config 0x09 "aic0" 5
    insert echo inserted
    remove echo removed

My kernal config file entry is:

    controller aic0 at isa? port 0x340 bio irq 5 vector aicintr

Yet all I get are:

    card inserted, slot 0
    ... driver allocation failed for Adaptec, Inc.

messages.  I've also tried 0x8 and different irqs but still the same message.

The annoying thing is that I KNOW that this card can work, I used it with
the PAO boot disc to install FreeBSD from a SCSI CD-ROM drive!  I also know
it works with Win95 (where the device manager says it uses irq 10 port
340).  Does this card work with stock FreeBSD or do I have to use PAO.  I
would like if possible to use FreeBSD-stable (to match the machines I've
setup at work) but I don't want to waste time downloading patches if it
won't work in the end.

My computer is a Toshiba Libretto 70CT english version.