Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:18:29 +0200
From:      Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD stable'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD dies sort of after some time

Hello All,

I've the following problem. After running happily for a few days/weeks one
of my FreeBSD dies sort of. If I issue a 'df' command or try to unmount
something these commands never return and I'm not able to kill them.

Using ps I see:

	/usr/home/berend$ ps ax | grep "df"
	 7490  p0  D+     0:00.02 df
	 7491  p2  D+     0:00.01 df

Other things work (like ls), but mail isn't delivered properly anymore.
When I issue the reboot command the machine says 'syncing discs' but that's
all. I've to turn off the power to reboot it.

I've seen this problem on 2.2.5-RELEASE through 2.2.6-STABLE. Does anyone
have suggestions to track it down to either software/hardware? Currently
I'm running 2.2.6 STABLE up to april 13.

This machine: 486DX/33Mhz, one of the first 486 boards (yes I know, but
FreeBSD performs quite well on machines like this :-) ), 16MB, 3COM 3C5x9
NIC, Adaptec 154X ISA SCSI, 1GB IBM SCSI disc, an IDE harddisk of 500MB, an
ATAPI cdrom, floppy tape drive (seldom used), and SB16 (never used).

It runs all my network/internet processes like named, ppp, NIS, is NFS
server/client, gateway, whatever.

I'll try to run a make buildworld a few times to see if I have hardware
problems (I usually do these things on my PII FreeBSD boxes as you can
imagine).

Groetjes,

Berend.