Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:29:21 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Alan Amesbury <amesbury@umn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Subject:   Re: getting garbage faster using FreeBSD?

--------------enigBE410E47035F0530B35EA1E7

Alan Amesbury wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:
>=20
>> The obvious question - why don't you burn the tapes and hammer the dis=
ks? :)
>=20
> Ah, low-tech.  I know it well.  Still, the last time I did any data
> destruction, I found a 4 Tesla magnet does wonders.  Downsides:
>=20
> 	1) Oxford's 90cm bore, helium-cooled magnets aren't that
> 	   common, perhaps because a 2000V/500A power source
> 	   is a bit expensive (solution doesn't scale).

It ain't the PSU that's the expensive bit on a supercon magnet -- it's th=
liquid Helium.  After all, once you've ramped the current in the coil up =
$bignum amps, it just keeps going so long as the superconductors aren't
allowed to heat up. LHe costs about the same as good whiskey, and you nee=
gallons of the stuff every few weeks.

> 	2) The hard drive has a tendency to fly out of one's
> 	   hands while moving it through the lines of force
> 	   (solution requires some physical coordination).

Hmmm.... a solenoid coil magnet has a field that is approximately dipolar=
=2E
Forces vary as the inverse *cube* of the distance away from the center of=

the magnet.  Move a centimeter too close and the drive will suddenly be
ripped out of your hands harder than you can resist.

And sticking lumps of magnetic material up the bore of a 4T magnet
probably requires quenching the magnet in order to get it out without
damaging the magnet...  Can you feel your accounts department wincing
yet?

> It's primarily for item #1 that I hadn't mentioned this earlier, as mos=
> readers of -STABLE users are probably looking for a more scalable solut=
ion.

Everyone should have their very own NMR spectrometer in their living room=
!

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20