Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 18:17:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.dk, beattie@aracnet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: writing cdr or cdrw atapi

Wes Peters wrote...
> Soren Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > It seems Brian Beattie wrote:
> > > I asked this question on questions and did not get any answer:  I have a
> > > refurbished Philips CDD3610 CDR/CDRW ATAPI drive.  I am trying to get this
> > > working, under 3.1-stable as of last night.  The driver messages claim to
> > > support this drive in both CDR and CDRW.
> > >
> > > I have tried cdrecord on /dev/racd0c which appears not to work. I have
> > > tried wormcontrol which seemed to work but the documentation leads me to
> > > think that wormcontrol might be obsolete.
> >
> > Cdrecord doesn't work on our ATAPI system. Wormcontrol still works
> > for ATAPI, its only our new SCSI system that lost that ability.

It "lost" the ability because cdrecord supports tons of devices, whereas
the worm driver really only supported two.  (HP/Philips and Plasmon)

> > > Can anybody tell me if ATAPI drives are supported under 3.1-stable.  If so
> > > what is the correct command to use, and some hint as to what arguments to
> > > use.
> >
> > Use the scripts in /usr/share/examples/atapi to burn CD's, they are
> > crude, but they do work.
>
> But doesn't wormcontrol require a worm(4) driver, unsupported on
> 3.1-stable?  If so, would he then need new versions of the scripts
> in /usr/share/examples/atapi?

No, wormcontrol will work on any device that accepts the worm ioctls.
Soren's ATAPI CD driver supports the ioctls.

The whole reason I didn't nuke wormcontrol from the tree when CAM went in
is because Soren is using it for his ATAPI CD driver.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com