Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:40:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Anyone here do a buildworld with dual PIII-600s?
>
> I'd like to know if dual 600s are worth the investment,
> right now i have 2x400 but unsure if it's worth it to
> spend almost 1k for this upgrade.

	We have some machines here with dual 550's and 1/2G of ram. I can
do a full make world in c. 57 minutes (from memory, but that's pretty
accurate). Here are my make.conf settings:

CFLAGS= -O -pipe
NOPROFILE=      true
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
USA_RESIDENT=           YES
TOP_TABLE_SIZE= 32503

Other than that I just do a straight 'make -j4 -DNOCLEAN world'. That's
with both directories new and clean. If I'm doing a second make world I
can get it done in just under 42 minutes. *grin*

HTH,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"