Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:37:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: when starting netscape-comm.4 sometimes the whole X11 Server goes down

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Brian Handy wrote:

> >In my home dir I find then an afterstep.core file, but not a
> >communicator.core
> >ls -l *.core shows:
> >-rw-------  1 andreas  wheel  352256 25 Feb 12:11 afterstep.core
> >

> Hmmm...I'm going to blame afterstep, but I'm not sure why.  AfterStep
> cores on me periodically and I don't have to be doing Netscape to do it.
> I've been thinking about going to Afterstep 1.4 (Myself and Brett Taylor
> have been arguing over the port) but it comes with a lot of cruft

I have never had AfterStep core on me.  Asmail has/does often crash the
XServer when I log in for some reason that I've never been able to figure
out (it seems to be related to the non-animated icons I chose - the
animated ones don't crash it).  I guess YMV's!  :-)

I can probably do the AfterStep-1.4 upgrade but ... it's a mess.  As Brian
noted there's a LOT of cruft and even though some of the apps compile they
won't run.  And the install script from their Makefile does not put ANY of
the new /GnuStep stuff in so that means all of the pixmaps/themes/etc
would all have to go in by hand.

I'm also not completely convinced it's not backwards compatible w/ 1.0
steprc's but since they appear to have switched to themes/feels I wanna
claim it won't be.

-shrug-

Brett Taylor 		brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/