Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 07:51:41 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        smithi@nimnet.asn.au (Ian Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PC/104 Embedded Board

>  >
>  > If you don't require a PC/104 form factor, you might look at the net4501,
>  > (http://www.soekris.com/) which has 3 enet ports.
>
> Hope this isn't too far off topic, but we've been looking at the net4501
> with a view to building [a] remote box/es, living in or near the roof of
> one or more of the town's taller buildings, running off a 12V battery
> plus charger supply, for routing/relaying a local wireless LAN.
>
> Only apparent obstacle is - can one readily connect a PCI (eg) wavelan
> card to the net4501?  I don't know enough about what constitutes the
> low-power PCI card requirements of the net4501, what common IEEE802.11b
> cards require power-wise, or what other interfacing might be necessary?

We are using the Orinoco Mini PCI cards that we buy through Dell. They
work just fine after a BIOS upgrade on the net4501 handle the CardBus
bridge interrupt correctly. Here is what it looks like on a net4501:

pcic0: <TI PCI-1410 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0xa0000000-0xa0000fff irq 10 at devi
ce 16.0 on pci0
pcic0: TI12XX PCI Config Reg: [pwr save][pci only]
pccard0: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 10 slot 0 on pccard0
wi0: Ethernet address: 00:02:2d:25:5c:f3

It probes as a "Dell" "TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card"

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za